Activated nuts and seeds brand, Boundless, have just launched an exciting new flavour, Turmeric and Smoked Paprika.
I was given the opportunity to try out Easy Detox 7 day plan i accepted as I was curious as I had never done anything like that before. When i told my friends and colleagues I was doing a 7-day detox most of them remarked ‘are you crazy?’, ‘You don’t need to lose weight’, ‘why?’ ‘Don’t you eat healthily anyway?’ and more.
Although i do eat healthily and don’t have ‘I can’t live without’ foods it was the thought of giving up the few foods I like to eat on a weekly basis, that was a struggle in my mind.
The process for the detox was to take 1 sachet of powder 3 times a day, morning afternoon and evening with coconut water, smoothies or sugar free juice. Depending on what you are trying to achieve you can stick to just that or find light healthy balanced meals on the Easy Detox website. I had read in some previous reviews that people had lost weight in 3 days, sounds amazing but I was not looking to lose weight, just to cleanse my body of any toxins and see what difference it made.
Foods I had to avoid
Salt, sugar, sweeteners, meat, dairy, gluten, alcohol, caffeine, fried foods
Day 1 - I mixed up the powder as suggested and ate a mainly bean or salad diet which I will give you at the end and drank lots and lots of water and exercise which is recommended.
Day 2 – I repeated the process with a similar diet with lots and lots of water and exercise and again no noticeable change.
Day 3 - I repeated the process and noticed my stomach was beginning to bloat and i was starting to feel very uncomfortable.
Day 4 - I repeated the process, my stomach was still bloated bloat even more and that uncomfortable feeling was getting worse.
At this stage i was wondering if I should stop as knowing my body well I know that it reacts in a negative way to any change slight change in diet or environment. So, i deliberated whether i should continue or not and how long would the bloating last and could i cope with this feeling any longer. However, i’m not a quitter so I decided to continue.
Day 5 – My body was beginning to get used to the change in diet and the detox but i was not feeling good at all and although the bloating was going down it was not as quickly as I had hoped but as i only had 2 days to go i struggled on.
Day 6 - by day 6 was feeling a little better and quite happy as i knew i only had one day to go.
Day 7 – To be honest this day could not have come quick enough for me. I was quite happy knowing I would not have to repeat the process again.
It can be difficult to know what to eat but on th esite their are recipies to help create some healthy alternative meals. I decided to opt for a variety of Beans, pulses, vegetables, roasted veg, salad, potatoes, quorn, natural yogurt, smoothies (as most fruit in its natural state makes me feel sick), coconut water, water.
Pros: no obvious side effect from cutting out things in my diet and this was because of the natural ingredients included in the detox to counteract that. The detox was pleasant. My water intake increased and i am still drinking lots of it.
Two week on, my skin is not as dry and flaky as it is normally and feels quite smooth.
Cons: uncomfortable bloated stomach, unable to go to the toilet regularly and bouts of nausea which lasted another week, after i had finished the detox.
Would I do another detox like this? NO! I decided that although the detox was tasty and there were some noticeable it was not for me. I am a fairly healthy person, i exercise as and when i need to and have no excessive eating habits or addictions to caffeine, sugar or other so that may be the reason it did not work for me and i did not see much change.
For anyone wanting to try this and who is a newbie to detoxes and diets like me I would suggest maybe the three day detox first to see how your body reacts.
Thank you Easy Detox for the experience.
By Deborah St. Louis - Fashions Finest (CEO)
There is nothing better for the soul than sitting around a table enjoying good food, good wine and great company. So, with that soul enriching idea in mind, I organised a dinner party for my friends with an array of freshly prepared and healthy dishes provided by the lovely folks at GoNutritionUK.
My friends and I totally enjoyed all the dishes, as you can see!!
I received 6 meals from the Cutting Meals Hamper
The Cutting Meals Hamper is designed to make dieting easy. All the meals are low in fats, carbohydrate and packed with quality protein. The perfect selection of meals to help you keep trim and lean with less than 300 calories. All ready to eat after a busy day at work.
Here are the dishes we received...
1. Chicken Katsu with Pickled Ginger Greens: This Japanese dish is a flavour sensation, with tender chicken fillet in a lemon herb crumb covered in a tangy katsu sauce, complemented with fresh veg, all finished with chopped coriander and sliced red chilli. Served with pickled ginger greens- Suitable for freezing.
2. Yakitori Beef with Wilted Asian Greens: This Asian inspired dish uses only the finest rump steak, marinated in a sticky glaze and paired with fresh veg along, topped with coriander, spring onions, sesame seeds, and a soy and ginger dressing. Served with wilted Asian greens- Suitable for freezing.
3. Piri Piri Pulled Chicken with Fresh Seasonal Salad: Slow cooked chicken breast is marinated in a spicy piri piri marinade and mixed with fresh baby spinach leaves, spring onion and chilli, all finished with a tangy mango drizzle, grated cheddar and a squeeze of lime, on a bed of fresh seasonal salad- Not Suitable for freezing.
4. BBQ Pulled Pork with Mango Slaw: Succulent BBQ pulled pork is paired with a refreshing mango slaw and complement with sweet corn and pomegranate, topped with a dusting of chopped coriander-Not Suitable for freezing
5. Chicken & Chorizo Bake with Mediterranean Vegetables & Goats Cheese: This cheesy Spanish dish is a taste sensation, with diced chicken and chorizo in a herby tomato sauce, accompanied with courgettes, aubergines and peppers, and topped with creamy goats cheese- Suitable for freezing.
6. Tandoori Salmon with Kale & Mint Salad: Succulent salmon marinated in a tandoori glaze is complemented with fresh kale and cherry tomatoes, all finished with fresh mint and pomegranate seeds- Not Suitable for freezing.
We found every meal to be super healthy and tasty. I would have loved to add some potatoes or rice, because I found the meals to be very meaty. But it was all still very tasty and enjoyable.
My friends loved the pulled pork and devoured that dish with such delight.
The most enjoyable meals, for me, was the Yakitori Beef with Wilted Asian Greens, Tandoori Salmon with Kale & Mint Salad and the Piri Piri Pulled Chicken with Fresh Seasonal Salad.
At first glance it was difficult to know if the food was to be eaten hot or cold and if it could be frozen and eaten the next day. I also initially could not find and the instructions, on the packaging but luckily, I did find it later. So, I contacted the company to find out. They gave me a list of the meals that could be frozen and told me that all the meals can be heated up before eating. (See the instructions in list of meals received).
The only problem with the heating up was, as you will hear in the video, was that some of the meals especially the pulled pork included mango slaw which was not in a separate container so it had to be scooped out then the meat heated and added back to the dish.
If I had to give a score for the company, food and the overall experience I would give it a 10/10 because nothing beats good, yummy healthy food and great friends.
Planning your own spontaneous diner party? do visit www.gonutrition.com and have a look at their Meal Hampers.
Follow them on twitter/Insta @GoNutritionUK
By Deborah St. Louis