Jenny Holloway has been working in the fashion industry for over thirty years; both in the private and public sector.
In the world of Fashion and Beauty some things come across pretty standardised and impersonal. So it's always good to know that there are brands out there that carry alot of personality , and truly do have their end-consumer in mind. The last 5-10 years have witnessed this growing trend of sustainability and social responsibility. Brands that tell a story, one personal to the creator, are definitely winning in my books. These are brands made with love.
So in no particular order -
1. Keji Victoria Designs - a bespoke and Ready-to-wear collection by yours truly, is inspired by my cross-cultural journey between Africa and the West. The latest collection, #madewithlovebykv draws inspiration from the names of locals in Northern Nigeria; as well as pays homage and solidarity to local businesses in that area.
2. Shea Moisture - a hair and beauty brand that has a family history and African heritage: shea butter, a rich home-grown plant is the selling point of this kind-to-the-hair brand.
Sofi Tucker was the forerunner to selling shea butter (that inspired Shea Moisture); and the grandmother to one of the brand's co-founders.
3. The Honest Company, founded by Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan, makes pure and harm-free baby products their priority. Once again, the most cherished brands are ones who the owners are also proud consumers of the goods.
4. Alex and Ani - an eco-conscious accessory brand that exists to give back to the planet. What I love about this brand is the recycle qualities in its manufacturing processes. The accessories are made with some recyclable elements, and the aesthetics are not compromised.
5. Studio 189 is a fashion social enterprise founded by Rosario Dawson and Abrima Erwiah. The Ghana and New York based platform works with award-winning artisans in Africa. 'Fashion Rising' has been notable campaign of the brand, which uses fashion to create more opportunities and empowerment for communities particularly in Africa.
6. Two-Thirds clothing brand - takes its brand inspiration from the ocean, which is known to take up two-thirds of the planet. Every collection is designed with lovable sea creatures and donations are made towards keeping our blue seas clean and safe. How lovely!
Can you share any brands in the industry that exist to help their community and make a difference?