The Stitch Academy returns with another stellar line up of creative workshops, talks and fashion masterclasses from Saturday 25 March 2017.
In the world of Fashion and Beauty some things come across pretty standardised and impersonal. So it's always good to know that there are brands out there that carry alot of personality , and truly do have their end-consumer in mind. The last 5-10 years have witnessed this growing trend of sustainability and social responsibility. Brands that tell a story, one personal to the creator, are definitely winning in my books. These are brands made with love.
So in no particular order -
1. Keji Victoria Designs - a bespoke and Ready-to-wear collection by yours truly, is inspired by my cross-cultural journey between Africa and the West. The latest collection, #madewithlovebykv draws inspiration from the names of locals in Northern Nigeria; as well as pays homage and solidarity to local businesses in that area.
2. Shea Moisture - a hair and beauty brand that has a family history and African heritage: shea butter, a rich home-grown plant is the selling point of this kind-to-the-hair brand.
Sofi Tucker was the forerunner to selling shea butter (that inspired Shea Moisture); and the grandmother to one of the brand's co-founders.
3. The Honest Company, founded by Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan, makes pure and harm-free baby products their priority. Once again, the most cherished brands are ones who the owners are also proud consumers of the goods.
4. Alex and Ani - an eco-conscious accessory brand that exists to give back to the planet. What I love about this brand is the recycle qualities in its manufacturing processes. The accessories are made with some recyclable elements, and the aesthetics are not compromised.
5. Studio 189 is a fashion social enterprise founded by Rosario Dawson and Abrima Erwiah. The Ghana and New York based platform works with award-winning artisans in Africa. 'Fashion Rising' has been notable campaign of the brand, which uses fashion to create more opportunities and empowerment for communities particularly in Africa.
6. Two-Thirds clothing brand - takes its brand inspiration from the ocean, which is known to take up two-thirds of the planet. Every collection is designed with lovable sea creatures and donations are made towards keeping our blue seas clean and safe. How lovely!
Can you share any brands in the industry that exist to help their community and make a difference?
Gingham is getting a new lease on life this spring/summer season, with a more grown-up look the classic check is sure to rock SS17. So, to help you put your shopping list together, here is some of the new season key items.
Take your pick from the sexy cold shoulder, girly frills, larger-than-life sleeves, crop tops, to preppy tie-waist details, gingham is definitely on my spring/summer hot list.
This new season’s gingham print is moving away from the simplistic black and white print, to bold and bright red’s and blues with added colour through embroider floral accents making the print come alive.
Playsuit are fun and playful, now you can be all of that, plus a total #fashionbabe in this red gingham playsuit, from New Look , and give your onlookers the cold shoulder with a touch of girly frill.
For the classic demure lady, who loves to keep to tradition, this button-down dirndl dress, from Primark, with its bell sleeves and nipped waist, is perfection.
This oversized puffy sleeves gingham blouse is a modern take on the feminine and whimsical style of days gone by. The gingham print with the red embroiderer floral detail, offers the perfect ladylike #lookoftheday and will cause quite a stir on the streets, blouse from New Look.
Strike the perfect balance between edgy, girly and chic with your updated gingham style.